This Cambodian life: #8 Why do it?

0

Before I came to Cambodia, people often asked me: Why are you doing it?

I don't think there's a better answer than the examples you have everyday here.
While visiting our shelter, this little girl who doesn't speak much, wrote 'beautiful' in Khmer  on her chalkboard and brought it over to me. She is one of the first children I profiled, and because of her delicate abandonment story she kept mostly for herself for several weeks and is now starting to open up. When I saw her handing me the little chalkboard, I had to hide my tears behind a smile.

Why do I do it?
I do it for a million reasons. Because I believe we, rich countries, have a responsibility, because I believe we don't always understand how privileged we are, because I think we can actually make a change, because I still believe in humanity.

But today, only for this. And this is enough.



Read more »

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.